Alexis Marguerite Teplin is an artist. Born in California in 1976, she graduated from the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) in 1998 with a BA in Fine Arts. She completed her MFA at Art Center College of Design, Pasadena, in 2001 and studied also at the Universita di Belle Arti in Bologna, Italy.
Following a year's fellowship at the Royal Academy Schools (as the 2003 Starr Fellow), Teplin now lives and works in London. In her work she derives her pointed references from an eclectic range of sources, such as Fragonard, Rococo, Garbo, femininity and feminism, sculpture, dress and painting. These are touched on in her luminous and richly impastoed paintings, which exist in varying formats from small tondos to monumental ovals.
Teplin has elected to display her work in multifaceted installations. Her pieces re-appropriates a feminine aesthetic and test the constructs that create them, developing a body of work that is both questioning and visually pleasurable.
- 'L'armour Cest Fou', Gavlak, West Palm Beach 2006
- 'Play her Armour A', Hotel, London 2005
- 'The Nape of her Neck', Entwistle, London 2003
- 'Chambre a Ciel Ouvert', fellowship exhibition, Royal Academy Schools, London, 2003
- 'If the Shoe Fits', Show Pony, Los Angeles 2002
- 'Clue in the Ancient Disguise', Small Gallery, Art Center, Pasadena 2001
- Prague Biennale, Prague 2005
- 4 Artists, Faure and Light Gallery, Los Angeles 2005
- Why don't you Paint me a Picture?, Haunch of Venison, London 2005
- Cleo, artists project, SHOWstudio, London 2004
- The Approach, London, 2004
- Group Exhibition, China Art Objects, Los Angeles, 2003 '
- Costume for performance' with Jennifer Moon, China Art Objects, Los Angeles, 2001
- 'Paintland Pasadena', curated by Terry Myers, Lemon Sky, Los Angeles, 2001
- 'New School', Works on Paper inc., Los Angeles, 1999
Alexis Marguerite Teplin features in a project.