Donald Urquhart, born in 1963 in Dumfries, Scotland, is a writer, performer and artist. He moved to London in 1984, and established a friendships and collaborative role with contemporary Leigh Bowery.
Urquhart embraced the heady drag-performance scene of which Bowery and his circle were pioneering innovators. Urquhart set up the underground creative tour-de-force that was 'The Beautiful Bend', a club night which he ran throughout the 1990s with Sheila Tequila and DJ Harvey.
Interest in the imagery and artwork for the flyers, illustrated booklets, and posters for this club has resulted in a number of exhibitions of these sophisticated, graphic, and darkly humorous pen and ink drawings. Urquhart joined both 'The Offset' after the death of Leigh Bowery in 1994, when the remaining members of his band, 'Minty' had to face the prospect of carrying on without him in order for his recordings to eventually be released. The idea of a performance collective who were inspired by Leigh came about. Urquhart read poetry and prose, and sang with Poly Styrene (of punk group X-Ray Spex).
- 'Becks Futures', ICA, London, 2005
- 'Other Peoples Projects', Herald Street, London, White Columns, New York, 2005
- 'Another Drama', Schnittraum, Cologne, Germany, 2005
- 'Listen to the Wine', Millers Terrace, London, 2004
- 'Frankfurt' Curated by Wolfgang Tillmans, Portikus, 2004
- 'Concert in the Egg', Unique set of 7 photographs of Leigh Bowery giving birth, The Ship,
- 'The Beautiful Bend' (Drawings from 1993 to 2002), Magnani, London, February - May, 2003
- 'A Present from the Zoo', Magnani, London, March - May, 2002
- 'Bootleg', a one day exhibition/event at Spitalfields Market, London
- 'A Nightmare on Emerald City', by David Dale, Central Space Theatre, London, January, 2002
- 'The Beautiful Bend: A Drama with Music', by Donald Urquhart, Central Space Theatre, London
- Appearances at 'Mutton', an underground performance night at The Royal Vauxhall Tavern, Vauxhall, and impersonated Judy Garland, Mama Cass, and Grace Slick of Jefferson Airplane.
- With 'The Offset' played at The Water Rats in Kings Cross, and toured Nottingham Arts Festival, Brighton, Portsmouth, Oxford, and with four nights at the ICA, London.
- Dancer and backing singer on Dead or Alive/ Pete Burns & The Sexy Assassins, 1992