Inez van Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matadin are Amsterdam and Manhattan-based photographers who have established a successful collaborative practice. Both born and educated in The Netherlands, they have produced a large body of digitally manipulated images miying the glamourous and grotesque in the industries of high fashion, high art and music videos-
Van Lamsveerde first gained attention for her disturbing, seamless conflations of young girls with adult male mouths, exploring society's ideas of physical perfection and gender roles. Me Kissing Vinoodh (Passionately) was the advertising image for BitStreams, a major survey of digital-era art at the Whitney Museum of American Art. They also notably collaborated with Björk on her music video for Hidden Place.
Matadin and van Lamsweerde have managed to maintain respectability in both creative and commercial arenas. They have been published in magazines like The Face, Interview Magazine, Visionaire, and Vogue Homme, as well as having created campaigns for brands including Balenciaga, Yohji Yamamoto and Calvin Klein. They have exhibited internationally, including a major overview exhibition at the Groninger Museum in 2000.
- Pretty Much Everything, Foam Museum, Amsterdam, 2010
- The Now Poeple, Part II: Life on Earth, Matthew Marks Gallery, New York, USA, 2005
- Super You, Daniel Silverstein Gallery, New York, USA, 2003
- Oeil pour Oeil, Collection Privée de Lyon, Le Rectangle, Lyon, 2002
- We set off in high spirits, Matthew Marks Gallery, New York, 2001
- Romance, White Cube, London, 2000 Parque Humano, Institut de Cultura, Barcelonne, Espagne, 2001
- Modelphotografie, Inez van Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matadin, Groninger Museum, BitStreams, Whitney Museum of American art, New York
- Maria Austria Award for Photography, Amsterdam foundation for the Arts, 1999
- The Society of Publication designers, Merit Award for photography fashion, beauty, still life, interiors/story in The New York Times Magazine, 1998
- Art Directors Club for Germany, Award for outstanding performance in the area of Photography, 1992