Matthew Collings is widely recognised in the Uk as a writer and broadcaster, though he is trained as and still practises as an artist. He has published several popular and high profile books that challenge the orthodoxy of art writing - erudite, astute, often maverick viewpoints written with simplicity and humour. He has appeared frequently on television as presenter of his own series This is Modern Art, and as presenter of Channel 4's The Turner Prize. Collings has collaborated on a project for SHOWstudio entitled 'Watching Paint Dry', a composite image made from 12 smaller canvasses.
- Matt's Old Master's; Titian, Rubens, Velasquez, Hogarth, Matthew Collings, Phoenix Mass Market Papperback, London 2005
- 'Make Your Own Damn Art: Bob and Roberta Smith', Bob Smith, Roberta Smith and Matthew Collings, Black Dog Publishing, London, 2004
- 'Sarah Lucas', Tate Gallery Publications, 2003
- 'Art Crazy Nation', Worldwide, 2001
- 'This Is Modern Art', Watson-Guptill Publications, 2000
- 'Blimey', 21 Publications, 1998