Neville Wakefield is a writer and commentator on contemporary art, culture and photography. Author of Postmodernism: the Twilight of the Real' published by Pluto Press in 1988. He is Contributing Editor to Another Magazine, Elle Decoration and Open City, regularly writes for Artforum, Art and Auction, Art in America, I-D, Interview, The New York Sunday Times, British and Italian Vogue. Recently he has collaborated on projects with photographer Steven Meisel for Frieze magazine, worked with Larry Clark for American Vogue and is Contributing Photo Editor at Visionaire. Wakefield has also worked as Contributing Editor on books including 'Fashion photography of the nineties' (1996), 'Echoes': Contemporary Art in the Age of Endless Conclusions (1997) produced with Camilla Nickerson, 'Veronica's Revenge' a contemporary perspective on photography (1998). He curated exhibitions including 'View One' at the Mary Boone Gallery, which included photographic work from Diana Thater, Douglas Gordon, Sam Taylor Wood, Anna Gaskell and Jane and Louise Wilson. 'Any Objections' with Mario Testino also at The Mary Boone Gallery, 'Psychoarchitecture' at the Anton Kern Gallery, featuring photography from Martin Kippenberger and Richard Prince. Wakefield is responsible for setting up the online company 'Counter editions' with partner Matthew Slotover (publisher of Frieze magazine) which publishes high volume, low cost editions.
- Scott, Kitty and Wakefield, Neville. 'Matthew Barney: Drawing Restraint: 1987-2007'. Distributed Art inc, 2008
- Wakefield, Neville. 'Postmodernism: The Twilight of the Real'. Pluto Press, 1998
- Hickey, Dave and Wakefield, Neville. 'Ed Ruscha: New Paintings and Retrospective of Works on Paper'. Anthony d'Offay, 1998
- Lingwood, James and Wakefield, Neville. 'Thomas Schutte (Contemporary Artists)'. Phaidon Press Ltd, 1998
- Nickerson, Camilla and Wakefield, Neville. 'Fashion: Fashion Photography of the Nineties'. Scalo, London, 1996