Principally a painter, Sarah Morris also makes films, photography and drawings, dividing her time between her native America and London. Morris participated in The Whitney Independent Study Programme and studied semantics at Brown University. In the mid-1990s, Morris made text paintings, translating the iconic vocabulary of the media headline into visual statements, using a bright Pop palette. Her later Midtown and Neon series paintings took urban architecture as a point of departure. Morris has also made a series of portraits, abstracted and codified into flat blocks of colour. She has made two films that explore passage through the city. Her mesmeric second film, AM/PM, was shot on location in Las Vegas. Sarah Morris has had numerous group and solo exhibitions. In 2000, she had solo shows at MOMA, Oxford, Galerie fur Zeitgennosiche Kunst, Leipzig and the Kunsthalle, Zurich.
- This is America, Centraal Museum, Utrecht, The Netherlands, 2006
- Sarah Morris- Artist in Focus IFFR, Museum Boijmans van Beuningen, Rotterdam, 2006
- Sarah Morris- Endeavor (Los Angeles), Palais de Tokyo, Paris, 2005
- Present Perfect, Friedrich Petzel Gallery, New York, USA, 2005
- Sarah Morris- Bar Nothing- New Paintings, Galerie Max Hetzler, Berlin, 2004
- Sarah Morris- Los Angeles, White Cube, London, 2004