Viktor Horsting & Rolf Snoeren are fashion designers who have worked together as Viktor and Rolf since 1993. Renowned for the cut and proportion of their designs they turn recognisable, classic forms such as oversized shirt collars, sleeves and jackets into unfamiliar features.
Both born in 1969 in the Netherlands, they teamed up the year after they graduated from the fashion department of the Academy of the Arts, Arhem. In 1996 they flyposted the streets of Paris to announce their own strike, a personal rebellion against the pressure to create a new collection every six months. They turned instead to Haute Couture, which they designed for five seasons. Feted for their extravagant construction and unconventional appearance, the Couture garments were very highly acclaimed which enabled them to return to ready to wear.
Viktor & Rolf devise spectacular presentations for their collections. Conceived before the design process begins, they have presented moving images projected onto the bodies of static models, and sent tap-dancing models down the catwalk. They recently designed a menswear collection and released their first fragrance 'Flowerbomb' at boutique Colette in Paris, 2005, and recent high profile campaigns have brought the maverick duo's high art fashion to a higher level of commercial prominence worldwide.'
- '10 Years of Viktor & Rolf', CAD Paris, France
- 'Yokohama Triennale', Yokohama, Japan
- 'Viktor & Rolf Haute Couture', Groniger Museum, Groninger, The Netherlands
- 'Visions of the Body', Museum of Contemporary Art, Tokyo, Japan
- 'Exposing Meaning in Fashion through Presentation', Anchorage NY, USA
- 'L'Hiver de l'Amour', Musee d'Art Moderne, Paris, France
- Fashionand Design Honorees', International Fashion Group 19th Annual Night of the Stars, New York, USA, 2002
- 'Salon Europeen des Jeunes Stylistes, Hyeres, France, 1993
- Viktor & Rolf 1993-1999, Artimo Foundation
- Viktor &Rolf, Haute Couture Book, Groninger Museum Publishing
- Davies, Hywel; 'Modern Menswear', Laurence King Pubishing, 2008
- Evans, Caroline; Frankel, Susannah; Alison, Jane; Yedga, Ariella, 'The House of Viktor and Rolf'. Merrell Publishers, August 2008
- Horsting, Viktor; Snoeren, Rolf, 'Fashion in Colours: Viktor and Rolf', Editions Assouline, 2004
- Spindler, my, 'Viktor & Rolf: Haute Couture Book'. Snoeck-Ducaji * Zoon, February 8, 2001
- Horsting, Viktor; Snoering, Rolf, 'Viktor & Rolf', Artimo, December, 1999