I'm delighted you are considering entering the second SHOWstudio Fashion Film Award. To me, fashion film is simply fashion in motion. I believe it is the most exciting and dynamic way to show fashion as all great clothing is designed to be seen in movement.
We are opening up this award to a global creative community and we have created an open platform to showcase submissions. Your submitted films must have fashion as their subject - I would encourage you to look at the recent collections on SHOWstudio to get inspired.
I would also recommend having a look at some of the great fashion films on SHOWstudio, from our early work in 2000 through to our latest releases. Pieces like Girl, Sweet, #asif, In Bloom, Tom Ford S/S 16, Up/90210, Gareth Pugh S/S 18 and Brighton Sorts all show the diverse ways of embracing this medium.
I am not looking for narrative driven films, however films can be realistic or abstract. I am looking for beauty and emotion, not technical ability. For this reason, your pieces can be filmed on any device you choose.
I believe fashion film stems from the same language as fashion photography. Therefore you can use any type of model, subject and garment that inspires you - I would encourage against using dancers or actors.
Please be brave, take risks and become someone who defines this new medium.
Submitted work will be up for the following awards:
- Best Fashion Film
- Best Short Shorts: An animated gif. Up to 15 seconds in length
- Best Illustration in Motion: Film must be predominantly moving Fashion Illustration
- Best Long Format Film: A fashion documentary or long format film. 15 minutes of longer in length
- Best Animated Fashion Film: Film must be predominantly be animated by using either 2D, 3D, Motion Graphics, Stop Motion
- Best VR Film
- Best Sound Design
- Best Commissioned Brand Fashion Film
Good luck and I look forward to seeing your work!
1. Submit your film to us by uploading it to YouTube with its privacy settings set as ‘Unlisted’.
2. Send your unlisted YouTube link, name of your film, your name, your contact number (so that we can get in touch) and your location to: email@example.com.
3. Your entry will then be reviewed and added to our submissions gallery.
If your video contains explicit visual content then please WeTransfer your video file to firstname.lastname@example.org
Submissions close at 08:00 GMT Monday 1 October 2018
Terms of Entry
- All films must include title sequences and credits.
- Films must be uploaded to YouTube with its privacy settings set as ‘Unlisted’.
- No clear images of children (under 18) are to be used in any film without their parents written consent.
- All films must not breach copyright law. In particular please be aware of the music you use, any in-game footage and any images or video content.
- Films received after the competition closing date cannot be considered for the competition.
- Entrants retain the rights to all films whilst SHOWstudio retains the right to use submissions online, for social and at festival venues.
- Award winners and finalists will have their films shown at the Fashion Film Award ceremony and Festival. All entrants should be available to attend the event (held on 24th November 2018 in London, United Kingdom).
- All submissions could appear on our website for the duration of the competition and may be shared by our partners in promotion of the Fashion Film Award.
- Each award winner will be chosen by our panel of judges and announced at a later date.
- Please note that SHOWstudio will be sharing submissions and successful films via our social media networks.
- Participants must keep high quality copies of their submission, should their submission be chosen as a finalist.
- SHOWstudio will consider all reserves the right to re classify your film if we deem it more suitable for another category.
- Entries submitted by anyone under 18 or featuring anyone under 18 not accompanied by a consent form signed by their parents will not qualify for the competition.
- Films submitted to the SHOWstudio Fashion Film Award must meet all terms and conditions, guidelines and official rules to qualify for the competition.