Highly-structured armour-like creations are the subject of an 11 metres high and 120 meters wide photographic installation by Nick Knight on the façade of the Knightsbridge estate in Central London. Entitled The Knights of Knightsbridge, the installation features 18 striking fashion images, depicting creations from fashion designers including, Gareth Pugh, Rick Owens, Iris van Herpen, Yohji Yamamoto, Moncler, Maison Margiela, alongside an important archival piece from Dior Couture by John Galliano.
Uniting the worlds of fashion and art, the installation creates a billboard-sized panoramic wrap, across the building’s façade, to conceal extensive construction work behind. It fronts Brompton Road and Sloane Street, it is the size of 26 double-decker buses and is estimated to be seen by tens of thousands of people passing by. It is probably the biggest fashion photograph ever displayed.
Knightsbridge gained an unsavoury reputation in the 17th century as a place where villains lay in wait for hapless travellers. The legend is that a quarrel ensued between two knights and a duel took place on the bridge; both fell, and the place was called Knightsbridge in memory of the deadly feud. Nick Knight, therefore, decided to depict high fashion warn as if armour, creating the illusion of knights from all-over-the-world watching down on the modern street.
Credits / Contributors
- Image: Nick Knight
- Executive Production: Charlotte Knight
- Production: Mariana Caldeira
- Models: Jazzelle Zanaughtti and Wenjing Chang at Storm Management, Tamy Glauser at Next Models, Dennis Okwera at AMCK Models, and Xu Meen at IMG Models
- Styling: Charlotte Roberts
- Make-up: Laura Dominique
- Hair: Eamonn Hughes
- Nails: Marian Newman
- Set Design: Stalin George
- Digital Operation: Sun Lee
- Digital Postproduction: Mark Boyle at Epilogue Imaging Ltd
- Photographic Assistance: Rob Rusling, Tom Alexander, Olivier Barjolle, Barney Curran
- Make-up Assistance: Naomi Nakamura
- Hair Assistance: Valerie Benavides
- Styling Assistance: Yamine Daaboul and Jessica Canje
- Production Assistance: Shea Cameron, Giorgio Lieu-On and Lallie Doyle
- Camera Assistance: Emma Scarafiotti, Sara Laimon and Myles Hall
- Shot at Park Royal Studios
- Lighting: Direct Digital
- Making Of Film Edit: Morgan Gu and Sara Laimon
- Fashion Film Edit: Raquel Couceiro
- Music: Middle Sky Boom - Julian is Normal
- Offline Edit: Cookie Moon
- Online Edit: Morgan Gu
Special Thanks to: Gareth Pugh, Craig Green, Moncler, Dior, John Galliano, Maison Margiela, Rick Owens, Nasir Mazhar, Edwin Mohney, Yohji Yamamoto, Rejina Pyo, Hussein Chalayan, Iris Van Herpen, Alexander McQueen, Peter Saville, Russell Bristow at Blink Giant Media, The Knightsbridge Estate, Caroline Franklin, and Max & Maxine at Cannon Pr.