Shuffle is an artwork-cum-book that takes on the form of a deck of playing cards. Emulating a Fluxus box, a John Cage 'chance operation' or Eames' House of Cards, the deck of cards, each respresenting an image of musical notation as captured in quotidian life - is intended to be used as a spontaneous musical score. To coincide with the publication Shuffle in print, Marclay invited a lineup of top musicians to interpret the score and bring Shuffle to musical and performative life.
- Steve Beresford (electronics)
- John Butcher (saxaphone)
- BJ Cole (pedal steel guitar)
- John Edwards (double bass)
- Sylvia Hallett (violin and musical saw)
- Alan Tomlinson (trombone)
- Byron Wallen (trumpet and flugelhorn).