Selfridges’ lead A/W 14 creative project, The Masters, is an exploration of the originators, pioneers and provocateurs that shape the fashion landscape, from Azzedine Alaïa to Yohji Yamamoto.
Each Master has created an exclusive piece or capsule collection that is emblematic of his or her fashion specialism. A cinematic thread ties the Masters’ worlds together – each Master will have a dedicated Oxford Street window, inspired by a filmic genre, from sci-fi to film noir.
Selfridges, in partnership with Vertu, commissioned SHOWstudio to craft a collection of vignettes that each create a different universe, tailor-made for each of the twelve Masters. The result is a selection of twelve stand alone fashion shorts, connected by an overall visual direction, which can also be threaded together as one overarching film.
Each vignette is captured in one single shot, every movement poised and considered. Each has its own individual set, lighting and styling, inspired by the Masters’ windows and the film narrative behind it. Each becomes a piece of fashion in motion – an immersive fashion photograph that spotlights the exclusive pieces that The Masters have created for the project.
Credits / Contributors
• Direction: Marie Schuller
• Models: Isaac Carew, Elena Sudakova, Anita de Bauch
• Styling: Erika Kurihara
• Makeup: Laura Dominique at Streets
• Grooming: Paul Donovan at CLM
• Hair: Federico Ghezzi at CLM
• Manicurist: Megumi Mizuno
• Styling Assistance: Claudia Sinclair
• DOP: Richard Stuart
• Focus Pull: Alexandra Voikou
• Grips: Jamie Monks, Sam Phillips
• DIT: Alex Parkinson
• Projection: Event Projection
• Gaffer: Sam Alberg
• Sparks: Alex Edyvean, Will Raesmith
• Set Design: Ciaran Beale
• Runners: Raquel Coucerio, Christina Cacouris, Charlotte Spencer
• Online Edit / Grade / CGI: Studio Private
• Offline Edit and Audio Mix: Marie Schuller
• Standby Art Direction: James Cross
• Art Department Assistance: Alfie Fielding, Samson Rinaldi, David Chavannes, Lizzy Bridges, Arianne, Kate Lovat
• Production: Tracy Woodford
• Executive Production: Charlotte Knight